Saturday, April 27, 2013

Campground Review - Jellystone Park, Sturbridge

Upon arrival at Jellystone Park in Sturbridge, MA, I noticed that it was a very wooded park, which I like. I also noticed it appears to be an older campground. It is also very hilly.

Our campsite was on a hill, next to some cabin sites. The site was a decent size for our hybrid. I noticed a black plastic pipe running down the side of our site. I discovered that was the water supply line.  The electric pedestal was high and in the back of the site. Apparently, most sites I saw shared pedestals, so an extension cord is recommended.   Cable hookup was a distance away.  Behind a cabin, there was a cable junction with a splitter to connect to. I would have needed a 50 foot coax to connect.

The handful of full hookup sites were in the open. The road that these sites were on had the dump station, with several sites within feet of the dump station. I looked at one pedestal, and it appears to have just 50 and 20 amp outlets, so a 50 to 30 amp dogbone is recommended.

Sunday morning, with temperatures just below freezing, we were experiencing brownouts. This, in my opinion, should not be happening when people are not running their air conditioners.

This park did have 2 pools including one with a small waterslide. There was also a small lake with beach. Many sites were on this lake, although the best seemed to be seasonal sites. There was also a small bar and cafe on the 2nd floor of the camp store.

The restrooms and shower facilities were cleaned daily, but showed their age. They were also no heated. The water was hot, but shower heads were aimed towards the curtain and was more like a garden hose and not a nice shower spray.

There is a honeywagon and propane service.  I needed my 5lb tank filled, but the office said they could only fill 20 and 30 pounders. In my opinion, anyone who fills propane should be able to fill any size tank.

I think I would try this lark again, although not in the heat of the summer. My main reason is due to the power issues that I was having.

No comments:

Post a Comment