Thursday, April 4, 2013

Trailer Mod - Electric Hot Water Switch

One of my first mods I did to my trailer is install a switch so I can control the electric portion of the hot water heater.  Most of the newer trailers come with a combination propane/electric heater.  Some have both switches located inside the trailer.  Mine, did not.  To turn on or off the electric, you had to either 1) Go outside, open the hot water heater, flip the switch, and head back inside or 2) Open the fuse panel, and flip the circuit breaker for the hot water heater, causing premature wear on the circuit breaker.

So I did some thinking, and after confirming it on Forest River Forums, I wired in a switch with indicator light so that I can switch the electric portion of my hot water on and off when desired.

Here is a few pics of the mod.


The Reason I put the switch where it is, was due to the fact, the previous owner installed an outlet there.  He also never wired it.  So, I had an outlet there that did nothing.  Not only that, he used the wrong kind of box.  But, I did use the cover for the switch, which only came in white at Home Depot.  I then used the outlet to replace one in my garage.

1 comment:

  1. Please continue to write more because it’s unusual that someone has something interesting to say about this.
    Will be waiting for more! To get new information visit here
    brisbane electricians
    brisbane electrical services

    ReplyDelete