Saturday, April 6, 2013

Trailer Mod - 12V Insignia TV

Before bringing the camper home, I saw that Best Buy had a sale on a 17" or 19" Insignia TV for just under $100.  The nice thing about this TV is that it operates on 12VDC.  So, knowing that I can just hook it up to the 12 volt system in the RV and not have to worry about 120V power supplies and being able to watch TV without power, I purchased it.

The previous owner already had this piece of wood attached securely in the corner where the TV goes, and it appeared he once had a TV there.  I bought a swinging mount, and attached it there.  I went to radio shack, and bought a wire and the appropriate end that fits the television.  I spliced it into the wire going to the antenna booster.  This is where I needed help from the people at Forest River Forums.

I had no idea how the antenna booster works.  I found out that it is also a switch.  When the antenna booster is on, the signal for the TV comes from the antenna.  When it is off, it comes from the park cable.  Great, I just had to run one coax to the TV.

Now for audio, I ran a 3.5mm connector, similar to headphones, and ran that to the input 2 on my Concertone ZX75 audio system.  I get better sound from the built in speakers in the camper.  I also ran a video wire from the ZX75 to the video input of the TV, so that I can watch DVDs.

The whole thing can be disconnected in seconds to avoid theft if stored away from home.  All in all, I am happy with the installation.

 TV installation looks fairly clean for this "hacker"

 Installation of the wires.  Top Right clockwise, Audio Out, Video In, Antenna, Power.

 Power adapter from Radio Shack.  It was easiest to bring the TV in for them to size up the correct plug.

Another view of the back of the Television.

No comments:

Post a Comment