Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Trailer Mod - Bathroom Light Fan Switch

One thing a seasoned RVer knows, always shut the fan off before you flush.  There is a good chance that you will suck the beautiful smell out of you black tank and into the living area.  Well, with a 7 year old, who is the shortest in her class, that could be an issue.  Especially when the light and fan are on the same switch. 

So, I decided to take the switch apart and take the trim ring down off the fan and see how this is wired.  I was in luck.  the feed went to the fan, then down to the switch, back to the fan, then to the light.  Jiggled a few wires back and forth, and the wires move freely.  Great.  This former alarm tech should have no issues fishing a new wire so I can put the fan on a dedicated switch.

So, I went down to my friendly RV dealer and parts supplier, Rousseau's RV.  I picked up a double switch, which looked black with sunglasses on, but was actually brown.  Close enough.  Here is what I did to get everything all together.

Single Switch to control Lights and Fan.  Can you say penny pinching.

Pulled the trim ring down, and found out the feed (near the knob) came through the ceiling, then back into the wall, to the switch.  Then it came back out and to the splices.

So, I tied a good size #14 primary to the wires.  #14 should handle the 4 amp motor, being capable of handling 15 amps.

Pulled the wire through...  Retied it a few feet further down...

Then I pulled the factory wires back to the switch location.

Made my connections.  The dark blue was factory.  The light blues and yellow are mine.  I always use quality shrink wrap connectors with a 1000 watt heat gun to shrink them.  I feel they look a lot better.

Remade the splices, once again, shrink butt connectors.

Here is the new switch.  Not exactly the same, but this camper only has 2 switches.  This one, and one for the outside porch light.

One more look at the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment